Fr Daniele's Daily Homily: 2nd April

2nd April 2020

Today we are reading the well-known passage when God promises to the elderly Abraham that he would finally become a father: "you shall become the father of a multitude of nations... I will make you most fruitful." These promises are actually for all of us too. The Lord has a great plan with each one of us, he wants our life to be most fruitful, and all generations to remember us, just as happened with Mary. 

I think that in some moment each one of us dreamt about becoming a star, in whatever field. My experience of the dreams as a teenager. But God promises us the much greater and everlasting glory of becoming a saint. If we fulfill the unique plan that the Lord has for each one of us, we will leave a legacy for ever. Example of Angeline.

It's a glory not focused on ourselves, but which comes from God, as Jesus says in the Gospel: "If I were to seek my own glory that would be no glory at all; my glory is conferred by the Father." We only have to live the same relationship that Jesus had with the Father: "I do know him, and I faithfully keep his word." God's glory, as it was for Jesus, is to love by giving our life for others. 

This time of trial we are passing through is the best opportunity to do that. Throughout history, saints appeared especially in troubled times. Example of blessed William Apor. If we also get to know the Lord and keep his Word, he will make us the saints who will give hope and light in this moment of history and for the generations to come.


First reading
Genesis 17:3-9

Abraham, the father of a multitude of nations

Abram bowed to the ground and God said this to him, ‘Here now is my covenant with you: you shall become the father of a multitude of nations. You shall no longer be called Abram; your name shall be Abraham, for I make you father of a multitude of nations. I will make you most fruitful. I will make you into nations, and your issue shall be kings. I will establish my Covenant between myself and you, and your descendants after you, generation after generation, a Covenant in perpetuity, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. I will give to you and to your descendants after you the land you are living in, the whole land of Canaan, to own in perpetuity, and I will be your God.’


Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 104(105):4-9

The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.

Consider the Lord and his strength;

constantly seek his face.

Remember the wonders he has done,

his miracles, the judgements he spoke.

The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.

O children of Abraham, his servant,

O sons of the Jacob he chose.

He, the Lord, is our God:

his judgements prevail in all the earth.

The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.

He remembers his covenant for ever,

his promise for a thousand generations,

the covenant he made with Abraham,

the oath he swore to Isaac.

The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.


Gospel
John 8:51-59

Your father Abraham saw my Day and was glad

Jesus said to the Jews:

‘I tell you most solemnly,

whoever keeps my word

will never see death.’

The Jews said, ‘Now we know for certain that you are possessed. Abraham is dead, and the prophets are dead, and yet you say, “Whoever keeps my word will never know the taste of death.” Are you greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? The prophets are dead too. Who are you claiming to be?’ Jesus answered:

‘If I were to seek my own glory

that would be no glory at all;

my glory is conferred by the Father,

by the one of whom you say, “He is our God”

although you do not know him.

But I know him,

and if I were to say: I do not know him,

I should be a liar, as you are liars yourselves.

But I do know him, and I faithfully keep his word.

Your father Abraham rejoiced

to think that he would see my Day;

he saw it and was glad.’

The Jews then said, ‘You are not fifty yet, and you have seen Abraham!’ Jesus replied:

‘I tell you most solemnly,

before Abraham ever was,

I Am.’

At this they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself and left the Temple.

Comments